- 1 large potato
- 600 mL water
- 1 heaped teaspoon hops
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- Peel and chop potato.
- Put in saucepan with water and bring to boil.
- Add hops while still boiling.
- Boil lightly for 20 minutes.
- Cool and strain, saving water in a large jar.
- Mash pulp into the jar through a strainer.
- Add flour and sugar, mixing well.
- Seal jar tightly.
- Store in a warm place for 24 hours.
- This yeast can be used immediately or stored in a fridge for a couple of days.
From an evening college baking course done by Ian in 1982.