Green Bean Pickle
This recipe reminds me of one my dear grandmother used to make more than fifty years ago – Ian.
DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY:
- 1 kg dwarf, french or runner beans, sliced
- 500 grams brown sugar
- 625 grams onions, peeled and chopped
- 900 mL malt vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons cornflour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
ADAPTED FROM: allotment-garden.org
- Cook the sliced beans in salted water until just soft, then drain.
- Cook the chopped onions in a cup of the vinegar until soft and transparent.
- Place beans, onions and sugar in pan with rest of vinegar and boil for 15 minutes.
- Mix the mustard, turmeric, salt and cornflour with a little cold water and add to the pan.
- Bring to boil and cook for further 15 minutes until thick, stirring if necessary to prevent scorching. Do not overcook.
- Spoon into warm sterilised jars and seal immediately.
Tagged: bean, Pickle
Comments are closed.