A chilly nights and frost on the ground? This easily made pickle is a good way to use up green tomatoes at the end of the growing season.
DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY: Medium
- 750 mL bottle vinegar (white gives the best presentation)
- 3 kg green tomatoes
- 1 kg onions
- A small handful of salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 kg sugar
- 3 tablespoons curry powder – good quality for best results
- 3 tablespoons mustard powder
- Chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with salt, mix well in a bowl, then leave to stand overnight.
- Next day, drain off the fluid.
- Place in a large saucepan and add three quarters of the vinegar.
- Bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar, bring back to the boil, stirring.
- Boil for one hour, stirring often.
- Mix the remaining vinegar with the dry ingredients.
- Add to the pot and stir until well combined.
- Boil 5 minutes.
- Pour into warm sterilised jars and seal immediately.
SOURCE: ABC Tasmania
CHEF: Sally Wise
Sally says this is the best and easiest pickle recipe she's ever come across.