INGREDIENTS: For two dozen buns
- 315 mL warm water
- 25 ~ 30 grams compressed yeast
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 ~ 3½ cups plain white flour (could be half white and half wholemeal)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 heaped tablespoon milk powder
- ¼ cup currants
- ¼ cup sultanas
- 1 heaped tablespoon of mixed peel
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200 ~ 205 degrees C.
- Put water into very large bowl.
- Add oil and one egg.
- Crumble yeast quickly and mix well with finger tips.
- Place one cup flour, spices, sugar, milk powder and salt into sifter.
- Sift into wet ingredients.
- Add fruit.
- Mix well, adding extra flour to form a firm dough.
- Shape into buns and place in greased baking pans with sides touching.
- Cover, place in a warm place and let rise until doubled.
- Beat reserved egg and brush over top before completely risen.
- Bake about 25 minutes.
INGREDIENTS FOR OPTIONAL ICING
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla or almond essence
- ¼ packet pure icing sugar
- Add sufficient milk to make spreadable.
- Spread strips down middle (of finger buns).
- Sprinkle with coconut.
From an evening college baking course done by Ian in 1982.