INGREDIENTS: For about a dozen calzoni
- 50 ~ 60 grams compressed yeast
- 600 mL very warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 ~ 6 cups white plain flour
- Olive oil or melted butter
- 2 cups diced cheese (approx. 5 mm cubes)
- 1 cup diced salami (etc)
- 1 ~ 2 cups diced tomatoes (not too ripe) cut into approx. 5 mm cubes
- ½ teaspoon oregano, or other Italian herbs
- Onion, etc to taste
- Make as Basic Yeast Dough.
- Knead approx. 5 minutes.
- Let rise.
- Roll very thin using rolling pin.
- Cut into 10 ~ 15 cm circles (use a saucepan lid).
- Smear oil on top (1 cm in from edge and if meat not too fatty).
- Thoroughly mix filling.
- Spoon filling onto circle and fold over.
- Drizzle tops with oil or butter.
- Place on greased tray.
- Let rise again OR bake immediately (15 ~ 20 minutes).
- This dough is good for pizza.
From an evening college baking course done by Ian in 1982.