INGREDIENTS: For about a dozen scones
- 2 cups plain flour (white or wholemeal)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon bi-carb soda
- 40 grams butter or other shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Rub in butter.
- Add buttermilk and mix to a soft dough.
- Press down to about 1 cm thick.
- Cut with a floured scone cutter.
- Brush with oil.
- Fold over.
- Place in a lightly greased pan.
- Optionally lightly oil tops.
- Bake 12 ~ 18 minutes.
From an evening college baking course done by Ian in 1982.
Tagged: Buttermilk, Scone