INGREDIENTS: Makes two
- 85 mL oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- 315 mL cold water
- ¾ cup plain flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups maize meal
- 1 tablespoon milk powder
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Add mixed wet ingredients (reserving some water).
- Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Adjust to a medium consistency by adding extra water.
- Pour into two 20 cm round pans.
- Bake about 25 minutes in a moderate oven (until they do not sing).
From an evening college baking course done by Ian in 1982.