INGREDIENTS: Makes about a dozen
- 85 mL oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- 315 mL cold water
- ¾ cup plain flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt.
- 1¼ cups maize meal
- 1 tablespoon milk powder
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Add mixed wet ingredients (reserving some water).
- Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Adjust to a thin to medium consistency by adding extra water.
- Pour into a greased, hot muffin pan.
- Bake about 25 minutes in a moderate oven (until muffins do not sing).
From an evening college baking course done by Ian in 1982.